Veterinary Biomedical Sciences (Microbiology)
Watford, United Kingdom
We are a small, friendly diagnostic laboratory, and place a strong emphasis on client care and service quality. We are UKAS-accredited to the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 standard, and provide diagnostic services in clinical pathology, microbiology and molecular biology. Our laboratory is staffed by highly trained and experienced biomedical scientists, two veterinary clinical pathologists, an Internal Medicine Specialist, and an ECVM Diplomate. Our clients are predominantly first opinion companion animal clinics, and the workload is interesting and varied.
We are continually developing our diagnostic service; our new Molecular Biology service started last summer, and we are introducing a new LIMS system early this summer.
We are seeking a Veterinary Biomedical Scientist to join our Lab Services team based in Watford, Hertfordshire.
In this role you will be responsible for performing microbiological testing of veterinary clinical specimens, and will contribute to the smooth running of the laboratory service.
This role requires some Saturday work.
- Specimen reception - opening mail and preparing diagnostic samples for testing
- Perform microbiological testing of veterinary specimens
- Accurate and prompt entry of sample information into the system
- Review and release results through the system
- Handle telephone queries from clients
- Assist in the maintenance and calibration of equipment
- Assist the department head in maintenance of laboratory stock
- Comply with laboratory health and safety requirements
- Actively participate in CPD
- Participate in maintaining the Quality Standard within the laboratory
- Liaise with office staff and colleagues within the diagnostic service to ensure the efficient running of the service
Skills and experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritise tasks,
- Demonstrable organizational ability
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Strong attention to detail
- Resilience with the ability to work under pressure in a busy environment
- Ability to work co-operatively in a team environment
- Flexibility and versatility to ensure the smooth operation of the diagnostic service
- Undergraduate degree in a biomedical science, with an emphasis on microbiology
- An understanding of routine microbiological methods
- Knowledge of clinically relevant microorganisms
- Working knowledge of health and safety procedures
Address: Watford, United Kingdom