Intern In Veterinary Ophthalmology Required At South Devon Referrals In Abbotskerswell, Devon
South Devon Veterinary Hospital
Abbotskerswell, Devon, United Kingdom
South Devon Veterinary Hospital are excited to announce the creation of two new intern training positions in Veterinary Ophthalmology. This position is open to candidates that have an interest in Ophthalmology. The clinic is situation close to the beautiful south Devon coast and southern side of Dartmoor. The candidates will form part of the Ophthalmology team with three clinicians and support staff. A large focus will be on providing inpatient care and supporting the Ophthalmology clinicians during the daily medical and surgical caseload.
The Intern position is a new role at South Devon Hospital to help with our expanding and varied caseload. Intern will be involved in all aspects including patient care, client communication and participation in the out of hours rota. There will be an opportunity to see Equine cases if desired.
• To become confident with ocular examination techniques and gain an appreciation of anatomical variations of the normal eye within different species
• Gain a good working knowledge of common and hereditary ocular diseases and their routine management
• To demonstrate a commitment to continued CPD and personal growth
As part of the team:
• To ensure the highest standard of care to all our patients and clients
• To ensure efficiency of case management through the different clinical areas
• To maintain accurate patient records with good levels of client communication
• To be pleasant, courteous, polite and helpful to all staff members and clients
• Provide assistance to Ophthalmology clinicians and Veterinary Nurses as required at all times
• Perform and monitor anaesthesia under the direction/Supervision of Ophthalmologists and VN’s. External rotations and training in anaesthesia will be a part of the intern training process
• Provision of in-patient care both pre and post-operatively (daytime pre-operative care, medications, monitoring and recovery period, post-operative care, medications). Out of hours in-patient care, anaesthesia, and triage of patients. Facilitate good communication flow between all staff
• Completion of accurate hospital records
• Performing in-house diagnostic tests as necessary
• Equipment maintenance in conjunction with head nurses and veterinary team and recording in a maintenance log
• Follow all practice guidelines for Health and Safety and client care
• Welcome and provide support for visiting veterinary surgeons and nurses to ensure safe methods of working and minimum disruption
Working hours are 8:00-6:00pm with the aim to have a 60 minute unpaid break per day depending on the case load of any given day. For on-call, you will be on a 1:2 rota. When on call you will be expected to be available on-site for emergencies and in-patient care. You will receive a day in lieu for a weekend worked. You will be expected to work 4 UK bank holidays per year and receive one day in lieu for each Bank Holiday on call. You will be entitled to 20 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays per annum. Generous CPD allowance to be discussed per course. The expectation will be that the Intern will attend at least one Ophthalmology CPD congress during the year. External rotations (two weeks) and visiting other Ophthalmology units will be encouraged.
We have 3 ophthalmologists present on site with Diploma holder leading the service as well as advanced practitioners in surgery and dermatology.
MRCVS at minimum and eligible to work in the UK.
As a BAME and LGBT+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long term health conditions, and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch.
Please quote BH4240 when applying for this role.
Address: The Old Cider Works, Abbotskerswell, Devon, United Kingdom