Bear Team Manager
Animals Asia Foundation Limited
Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
Bear Team Manager - Chengdu Bear Rescue Centre – CHINA
Our family in China has the need for another Bear Team Manager. A highly motivated, experienced, and dedicated animal care professional is required to work with rescued Asiatic black bears and Tibetan brown bears at our Chengdu Bear Rescue Centre in Sichuan Province, China. This is an exciting opportunity to join us as we continue our mission of providing world-class care to 125 bears.
The position holder will work as part of our Bear & Vet Team and will be responsible for overseeing teams of local bear care staff involved in the daily husbandry and management of the bears within the rescue centre. The position involves working closely with all members of the bear care team (via our translator team) and liaising with the resident veterinary team and other relevant departments to manage various daily operations.The Bear Team Manager will report directly to the Senior Bear Team Manager.
The Covid-19 pandemic has resulted in travel bans and restrictions into China and therefore it is unclear when the selected candidate can safely enter China. Any candidates would need to have a flexible starting date and be willing to quarantine upon arrival.
Due to Chinese visa requirements, a university degree in a relevant field and proven practical experience of 3 to 5 years are essential for this position.
- Bear care and management
- Oversee daily feeding, medicating, cleaning and enrichment;
- Ongoing monitoring of bear behaviour and welfare, making adjustments to care plans as needed;
- Maintenance and improvement of existing enrichment programs and protocols;
- Operant conditioning and formal bear training programs (in collaboration with the Senior Bear Team Manager) for a variety of medical, behavioural and management requirements;
- Ordering animal food and other stock as required;
- Maintaining bear behavior records & databases.
- Bear team management
- Monitor adherence to protocols and husbandry procedures;
- Maintenance of incentive programs and staff morale;
- Conduct staff appraisals;
- Identify and address HR issues with the Senior Bear Team Manager and Bear & Vet Team Director.
- Capacity building and staff development
- In conjunction with the Senior Bear Team Manager, develop training materials on a variety of topics and conduct presentations and/or training sessions with the bear care team.
- Collaborate with other departments as required to support their work in fundraising, supporter engagement and education.
- University degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field;
- Three to five years work experience in a captive wild animal facility or similar working environment;
- Proven management or supervisory experience;
- Computer literacy (including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint);
- Basic data analysis and report-writing skills;
- Willingness to travel and work offsite or between sites as required;
- The ability to work within a team or independently;
- Fluent in English (verbal & written);
- A good sense of humor, excellent communication skills, and the ability to live and work closely with the rest of the team comprising of both foreign and local staff;
- Patience and willingness to work in a different country/culture.
Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years.
Appointment is paid, full-time, five days a week with (rotational) weekend/holiday work.
The following items are included in your full-time contract
On-site accommodation (individual room with communal living space and kitchen)
Emergency medical insurance
How to apply
Interested parties should send their application letter and full resume, stating present, expected salary and notice period and your completed Job Application Form to email@example.com (in Word format). Please quote the above position being applied for in the email subject.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Applicants who have not received a reply after six weeks from the date of the advertisement should consider their applications unsuccessful.
Personal data collected will be used for recruitment-related purposes only.
Deadline for application: Open-ended until a suitable candidate is selected.
Tel: 2791 2225
Address: Room 1501, Tung Hip Commercial Building, 244-252 Des Voeux Road Central, Sheung Wan., Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Hong Kong