Animal Groomer - Middle East (JL-21406)
Middle East, United Kingdom
The primary role of a pet groomer is to improve the pets’ hygiene and enhance physical appearance. Our clinic caters to companion animals, thus we have a clientele for mostly cats and dogs. The pet groomer should be experienced enough to manage the temperament of the animal being groomed. They must possess qualities that shows compassion, patience, good hand eye coordination, precision and grooming knowledge, and excellent customer service skills. They should also be able to groom under time pressure as there will be a time frame for each animal being groomed.
It is imperative that they will be detailed- oriented, has deep love and commitment to animal welfare. The job technically does not require any educational background. It is also their duty and responsibility to make sure that the animal is neat, clean and look their best. This includes bathing, trimming, clipping or shaving hair or fur and removing matted hair. They should be also responsible for all the grooming tools and make sure that they are in good working condition. Their area should always be clean, smelling good, organized and his tools disinfected for the next costumer.
- Knowledgeable on different techniques on grooming companion animals mainly dogs and cats.
- Must be responsible to work the schedule they are tasked.
- Must be able to read, write legibly and communicate clearly in English.
- Must have the physical strength and ability to lift and carry a pet or other object weighing up to 50 pounds without assistance. Must be able to assist in lifting patients or other objects weighing more than 50 pounds.
- Able to work energetically for the entire shift. Physical exertion includes repetitive standing, walking, bending, twisting and lifting.
- They must physically hold and restrain pets who may struggle, scratch or try to bite. They are required to remain calm and compassionate to the animal who may be reacting to fear and pain, and the physical strength, dexterity and reflexes to keep the pet, themselves, the doctor and other staff safe.
- They should be able to determine if the animal for grooming is apparently healthy. In case the animal looks sick, they should immediately call the attention of the veterinarian on duty.
They should have a working knowledge on the grooming standards for specific breeds and spot differences in a pet’s hygiene that may indicate a health concern.
Pet groomers must have high standard of cleanliness and professionalism aside from being patient and have genuine care for animal as the animal being groomed will be under stressed condition, excellent customer service skills as they will be directly in contact with the owner to discuss the specific grooming instructions. Attention to detail is also a quality that is necessary to make the animal leave the clinic looking and smelling good.
Their stamina should also be at par as this job requires hours standing and they can withstand prolonged exposure to water and shampoos/soaps. They should be strong enough to carry equipment etc. alone.
- Ensure that the animal is free from mat, clean and fully dried following the clinic’s standards and procedures.
- Skilled in handling and calming anxious pets.
- Must know how to do simple bathing, conditioning and drying pets.
- Must have the ability to perform pre-wash brush out and post-dry brush outs.
- Must be familiar with all bathing products and can prepare and use them properly.
- Identify common problems like ticks, fleas, and ear infection to be forwarded to the veterinarian on duty for consultation and proper treatment.
- Clean ears and express anal glands.
- Trim nails, feet and face as needed.
- Able to do the specific cuts – such as lion cut, summer cut or just plain trimming as per owner’s instructions.
- Skilled in using scissors and clippers.
- Should maintain their area’s cleanliness and make sure that the instruments used are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected before the next appointment.
- Able to complete tasks independently without supervision.
- Follows the existing rules and regulations, protocols in the clinic.
If you're interested and would like more information please contact Jonathan Lewis on 01291 645871
Tel: 01291 645 871
Address: Middle East, United Kingdom