Registered/Student Veterinary Nurse Required At Anglesey Pet Clinic
up to £30,000 depending on experience.
Anglesey Pet Clinic
Wales, United Kingdom
We have an exciting opportunity for a Registered/Student Veterinary Nurse to join us at Anglesey Pet Clinic, Holyhead.
Our Nurses help with administration, reception and cleaning, as well as general nursing duties, including to;
• Sterilise and conduct regular maintenance of practice/surgery equipment as appropriate
• Run and maintain the biochemistry, haematology and coagulation machines
• Assist vets during consulting, X-ray, surgery, post-op and house visits
• Monitor anaesthetics
• Conduct dental scale and polish
• Take skin scapes, hair plucks, cytology samples, urine samples, etc.. and be able to interpret your report your findings
• Create and implement care plans for in-patients and undertake pre/post-op check and look after animals in our care
• Take and develop X-rays
• Administer flea and worming treatments and implant microchips
• Hold nursing clinics (e.g. diabetic, geriatric, dental, puppy parties) and special events (information days, open days)
• Admit and discharge patients after ops and/or hospitalisation
• Conduct Schedule 3 procedures
• Monitor well-being of recovering patients and maintain contact with clients
• Update in-patient computer records daily
• Ensure up-to-date knowledge of drugs, diets, behavioural aids, etc.
• Maintain regular contact with the principal vet about all nursing matters
• Assist in establishing practice protocols, procedures and instruction sheets and in preparation for VMD/RCVS, etc. inspections
• Be familiar with RVN rules and regulations
• Maintain the highest level of knowledge in all aspects relevant to your job and adhere to best Practice
• Support, instruct and help train work experience students and trainee nurses and after appropriate training take on the role of clinical coach
You will be required to work a 4-day week, with an equal share of the Saturday rota. No out of hours work.
The salary for this role is up to £30,000 depending on experience.
The Anglesey Pet Clinic is a 100% small animal veterinary surgery, we have been in business for over 10 years and have a loyal client base. We see lots of dogs, cats and exotics and once a week we run a one-hour RSPCA clinic on behalf of the local RSPCA branch.
Our equipment is extensive and includes modern IDEXX in-house laboratory (catalyst and procyte), digital AGFA CR X-ray, video endoscope and bronchoscope, colour Doppler ultrasound with ECG, tonopen, slit lamp. We have a varied workload that ranges from the standard (e.g. vaccinations, microchipping, neutering, dental, in-house laboratory, X-ray interpretation pet passports, pregnancy diagnosis with ultrasound, hip and elbow scoring, PAT dog assessments), to more specialist services and treatments, such as chemotherapy, echocardiograms, ECG, video endoscope and bronchoscope for non-invasive investigations and advanced surgeries.
Our team is made up of 3 full-time vets and we are looking to recruit a 4th, our vets operate with support from 4 veterinary nursing staff. The clinical director and principal vet both hold a PGCertSAS, the latter has a particular interest in small animal surgery and orthopaedics (regularly carrying out TTAs.)
We consider CPD an essential part of an employee's role and have an extensive library of books and journals within a quiet, spacious office.
We are located in beautiful Anglesey just 5 minutes from the beach and approximately 45 minutes’ drive from the Snowdonia Mountains.
• RVN qualification/student nurse
• Relevant companion animal nursing experience (including exotics)
• Ability to assist our vets in routine and non-routine ops, good knowledge of emergency nursing
• Excellent communication skills and manner
• Experienced in using practice equipment and confidence in interpreting samples
• Experienced in reception duties, including order
• Experienced in maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene
• Computer and phone literate
• Commitment to collegiality
• Good time management
• Desire to expand practical skills and engage in lifelong CPD
• Proactive and can plan ahead
• Ability to work well under pressure and maintain attention to detail
• Good standard of personal presentation
Benefits - Subject to Pro Rata:
• Increasing holiday based on length of service
• CPD paid days and allowance
• L&D opportunities through the IVC Evidensia Academy
• Enhanced family-friendly policies, including maternity/paternity/adoption/shared parental and surrogacy pay
• Birthday leave
• RCVS Membership paid
• VDS cover
• Discounted veterinary fees
• Various discounts including retail & gym memberships
• Cycle to Work scheme
• Service-related company sick pay
• Initiatives focussed on employee wellbeing
• Relocation packages
• Career progression opportunities
As a BAME and LGBTQ+ inclusive employer, we are keen to hear from candidates from all minority and diverse groups. As a Disability Confident Employer, we are keen to hear from candidates with disabilities and long-term health conditions and would be happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments needed during the recruitment process.
If this position is of interest to you then please get in touch. Please quote BH4753 when applying for this role.
Address: Cyttir Rd Holyhead, Wales, United Kingdom