Veterinary Surgeon - Part Time!
Circa £39,000 per annum pro rata
Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
This is not your average Vet job - so, what's different about it? We can offer great hours Tuesdays, Wednesdays & a half day Thursday, absolutely no weekends. So, if you are looking for some flexibility to fit in with your home-life this could be the right fit for you.
There will also be minimal interaction with the animal owning public on a day to day basis, this role is mainly focussed on the welfare of the animals, with a holistic and team based approach to the animal and treatment. And of course not forgetting, you get to work with some amazing, passionate, and supportive team members.
At RSPCA we are invested in learning and development so you will receive training in new skills such as prosecutions and case work, and the implementation of shelter medicine.
Team player? Passionate about welfare? Yes you say, great, you'll also have the opportunity to work more closely with our Inspectorate and to be involved with innovative projects to improve animal welfare. There is also the opportunity to input into society wide protocols and policies, with many other opportunities available.
Why work for the RSPCA?
It's an exciting time to join us in the decade of our bicentenary as we focus on our Strategy to 2030. The RSPCA works 365 days a year, rescuing all animals of all types from abuse, neglect, and injury.
We value and recognise our employees' contribution and are proud to offer an extensive benefits package, to give you a flavor of what is on offer here are some of the excellent benefits available:
35 hour standard working week: RSPCA recognise the need to have a healthy work-life balance, and are able to offer hours that work best for you.
Great Annual Leave benefits: All staff receive 25 days annual leave on entry rising to 30 days after five years service and 31 days after six years service plus an additional Society day around Christmas. Staff can also carry over up to five days leave to the next leave year.
Generous Pension Scheme: We also offer a generous pension scheme with associated life assurance and group income protection scheme; access to private healthcare scheme; support for professional development after qualifying period and access to our employee assistance programme.
Healthcare & Wellbeing: RSPCA also recognise that Healthcare & Wellbeing are extremely important to having a happy team, we offer access to private healthcare schemes and an employee assistance programme which gives you access to support 24 hours a day.
About Merthyr Tyfdil Clinic
The Merthyr Tydfil Animal Clinic at The Willows in Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil, opened in October 2005. We provide an extensive range of veterinary services, including consultations, operations, dentistry, neutering, radiography, and microchipping. Our team of staff provide expert nursing and veterinary care.
The vet works alongside five support staff including qualified vet nurses, to provide care for patients who have to be admitted to the clinic.
What you'll be doing as an RSPCA Vet Surgeon:
- Overseeing the rehabilitation of injured/ ill strays and victims of cruelty and neglect.
- Demonstrating competence across veterinary disciplines, including;
- Shelter medicine
- Sole charge
- Implementing RSPCA policies in regards to the re-homability of animals including decision making on individual cases
- Welfare support work for the RSPCA Inspectorate
- To add value to this role we'd love you to have:
- Membership of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons
- Interest or previous experience in shelter medicine
- A pragmatic welfare oriented approach
- Happy to handle dogs, cats, small furries and possibly bird and wildlife initial triage (although not expected to be an expert on wildlife)
- 3 years + previous clinical experience
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work autonomously and make informed decisions
- Great communication skills
- In line with above you will have the ability to explain complex clinical and welfare decisions in a clear and compassionate way to a variety of non-clinical staff, including the Animal Center teams and Inspectorate
How to apply:
Please send your CV to email@example.com quoting reference VS6154 by the closing date of 11th December 2022.
Address: The Willows, ,, Abercanaid, Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom