**Non Clinical ** Laboratory Technician Needed - Bristol - Ref: CA15811
JHP Recruitment Ltd
Bristol, United Kingdom
My client is a dynamic veterinary diagnostic pathology company, specialising in the processing and reporting of biopsy specimens submitted by veterinary surgeons. At this 1st class histopathology lab’s tissue samples processed within the lab are examined by veterinary pathologists, generating high-quality reports, with an emphasis on making an accurate diagnosis and providing the veterinary surgeon with as much useful clinical information as possible. Furthermore, the laboratory actively supports clinical research to further the understanding of animal disease and to benefit veterinary patients.
The postholder will undertake rotation through grossing, embedding, microtomy and staining (H&E). They are responsible for the day-to-day functioning of their designated section within the VPG Histology service and participate in the routine processing of the submitted samples, as well as ensuring the routine maintenance of the laboratory equipment. They are expected to identify, highlight, and action any issues, which may put the service at risk. All duties are expected to be carried out in a manner that supports company targets and ensures compliance with standard operating procedures.
· Work safely in the laboratory – following all relevant SOP’s, health and safety, risk assessments and COSHH documentation.
· Understand and follow all quality procedures to meet the required quality standards.
· Understand and comply with any internal or external regulations relevant to the workplace.
· Maintain excellent housekeeping, including laboratory maintenance procedures, cleaning, and decontamination.
· Understand and perform management, control, and disposal of laboratory waste.
· Always understand and adhere to Good Laboratory Practices.
· Undertake any mandatory training as required by the business.
Duties and responsibilities:
· Be competent to work on rotation for:
· Grossing of non-complex samples: 10-15 (lower band) to 20-25 (higher band) cases per hour
· embedding: 50-55 (lower band) to 70-80 (higher band) cassettes per hour
· Microtomy: 20-25 (lower band) to 35-40 (higher band) blocks per hour
· Assist in pathologist-led grossing (only higher band)
· Independently carry out special stains
· Operate tissue processors.
· Maintain tidiness and cleanliness in own working area.
· Participate in the reception, preparation, and documentation of specimens in accordance with laboratory policies and protocols.
· Participate in the entry of data to laboratory computer systems.
· Prepare staining solutions and reagents and assist in the maintenance of adequate stocks of reagents and consumables.
· Ensure the efficient and safe use of consumables and equipment within the working area.
· Be responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and cleanliness of the equipment with which they are working.
· Assist in developing/ improving procedures, H&S, QA and ECG initiatives.
· Participate in record keeping processes, including maintenance records, electronic and paper based.
· Participate in internal quality control procedures.
· Participate in risk management of the department including error reporting and corrective actions.
· Lead slide quality control and matching
Knowledge, skills, attributes and experience
· A flexible self-motivated team player
· BSc Honours Degree in BMS, Biology or equivalent OR sufficient (multiple years) previous experience in laboratory work
· Previous laboratory experience
· Ability to work independently and under pressure
· Competence to work proficiently in all sections
· Knowledge and experience of histopathology technique or willingness to learn
· Strong organisational skills with the ability to plan workload
· Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
· Basic computer skills
· Experience of working with other LIMS systems
· Understanding of administrative systems and computer applications in use within Pathology
· A good understanding of animal diseases relevant to the testing service.
Hours & Salary
This role is Monday to Friday 9am – 5:30pm no weekend work and bank holidays off.
Holiday entitlement is 28 days + Bank Holidays.
Please quote the following reference number when you apply
Tel: 01392 691033
Address: Bristol, United Kingdom