BVA Begins Search For 2022’s Veterinary Photographer Of The Year
British Veterinary Association (BVA) is calling on its members to get creative with a camera and snap images of their daily work as it launches the 2022 Veterinary Photographer of the Year competition.
The much-loved photography competition, which is sponsored by iM3 Dental, showcases the best companion animal and wildlife photography and attracts hundreds of entries every year. It is open to all BVA members and returns this year with three categories, including a brand-new sustainability category to coincide with BVA President Justine Shotton’s presidential theme.
The categories are:
- Sustainable futures
- What does a sustainable future look like for the veterinary profession and animals? Exploring the impact of climate change and celebrating efforts to create a greener future for humans and animals alike.
- All creatures great and small
- An opportunity to look at the vast diversity of the animal kingdom: domestic, agricultural and all aspects of wildlife
- Happy pets that make us smile
- Reflecting the joy of a happy, contented animal
Last year’s competition resulted in stunning entries in each category, with Adele Williams winning the Vet’s life in lockdown category with her emotive image of a vet mum nursing her baby while simultaneously working on referral reports, titled ‘A new working normal: multitasking to new levels’. The All creatures great and small category was won by Ellie Dudson, with her photo ‘In the spotlight’, which showed a cow bathed in sunlight in a parlour. Happy pets that make us smile was won by Harriet Williams with her photo ‘In Expectant Anticipation of a Tennis Ball’, picturing a very excited dog playing on a beach.
BVA President Justine Shotton said: “Every year it is so exciting to see the incredible photos which are sent in for the BVA Veterinary Photographer of the Year Award.
“The amazing photos captured by our members never fail to impress and amaze and we are always blown away by the high standard of all the entries. It is fascinating to see our members’ lives on camera, whether that’s your daily interactions with animals at work or play or capturing wildlife on camera in your garden or local area.
“I’m very excited to be part of the judging panel for the competition, which is now in its sixth year, and am particularly looking forward to seeing the entries which come in for the ‘Sustainability’ category. This is particularly close to my heart so I can’t wait to see what our creative members come up with.
“Whether you are a casual snapper or semi-professional photographer, we encourage you to enter and showcase your skills.”
Sponsored by iM3 Dental, winning photos will be eligible for £250 worth of John Lewis vouchers. It is planned that the winning images, along with the highly commended entries, will be displayed at the BVA Live event at Birmingham’s NEC on 23rd – 24th June 2022.
The competition is open to all BVA members and membership must be active at the time of entering. The closing date is 9am on Monday 14 February 2022 and winners will be announced in April. Find out more and submit your entry via the BVA website: www.bva.co.uk/photo-comp
More from BVA
- Major UK retailers remove ear cropping kits from sale after vet pushback
- ‘Mystery’ dog vomiting bug cases prompt veterinary advice
- Kick off 2022 with a promise to take simple steps to protect your planet
- Vets applaud ‘One Health’ animal plan for Wales
- British Veterinary Association responds to the UK trade deal with Australia