Deadline For RCVS Honours & Awards Nominations Extended Until End Of January 2022
The deadline for nominations for the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) Honours & Awards has now been extended until the end of January 2022.
Everyone from the veterinary community and beyond will now have until 5pm on Friday 28 January 2022 to submit a nomination form for those veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses, students and other individuals who have gone above-and-beyond in their contribution to the fields of veterinary medicine and animal welfare, both in the UK and abroad.
The award categories that someone can be nominated for are:
- The Queen’s Medal – an award for a veterinary surgeon with a lifetime of outstanding contributions to the profession.
- The Veterinary Nursing Golden Jubilee Award - awarded to a veterinary nurse who has had a sustained and distinguished career, who can demonstrate a leadership role within the profession and who can act as an ambassador for the value of veterinary nurses and their work.
- The RCVS International Award - awarded to veterinary surgeons, veterinary nurses or laypeople who have made an outstanding contribution on issues that are in line with the RCVS mission.
- The RCVS Impact Award - awarded to veterinary surgeons or veterinary nurses who have recently, or are currently, undertaking a project, initiative or similar that has a significant impact on the profession at large, animal health or welfare, or public health.
- The RCVS Inspiration Award - awarded to veterinary surgeons or veterinary nurses at any stage of their career who have demonstrated the ability to inspire and enthuse others consistently throughout.
- Honorary Associateship - awarded to laypeople (i.e. those who are neither MRCVS nor RVNs) who have made a special contribution to the veterinary sphere and could include, for example, scientists, lecturers, journalists, charity-workers, farriers, farmers and those involved in the commercial field.
- The RCVS Compassion Award - awarded to a veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse at any stage of their career who has demonstrated compassion towards fellow professionals and/or members of the animal-owning public.
- The RCVS Student Community Award – awarded to a veterinary or veterinary nursing student who has made a real effort to support their fellow students and the wider veterinary/veterinary nursing school community.
The closing date for all RCVS nominations for these categories is 5pm on Friday, 28 January 2022. For more information about the RCVS Honours & Awards and to find out more about each of the awards, including their nomination criteria, and previous winners , please visit www.rcvs.org.uk/awards.
Awardees will be chosen by the RCVS Officer Team and ratified by RCVS Council and, in the case of the VN Golden Jubilee Award, ratified by the Veterinary Nurses Council. At present, the RCVS plans to have a live awards ceremony as part of its Royal College Day at One Great George Street on Friday, 8 July 2022, where the winners will be announced.
More from RCVS
- Report released with highlights and key outcomes from the recent Student Veterinary Nurse Wellbeing Discussion Forum
- Researchers invited to apply for £20,000 grant to fund mental health research project
- RCVS publishes two reports on the impact of the pandemic on vets and vet nurses respectively
- RCVS Mind Matters Initiative to host two webinars at upcoming Webinar Vet Virtual Congress
- New online resources hub launched to help the veterinary professions develop key leadership skills