Core Surgical Skills 1
University of Nottingham
Date: Tuesday 24th October, 2023 - Tuesday 24th October, 2023
Start time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Duration: 9 hour(s)
Through a series of hands-on sessions, you will develop a range of core surgical skills and techniques. Each skill will be introduced with a step-by-step demonstration, before participants practice the technique.
After attending this course, you should have revised and gained both core and new skills in open surgery. You should be able to:
- demonstrate safe operating techniques
- more confidently handle and use surgical instruments
- better understand of the use and misuse of common suture materials and surgical needles
- use a variety of surgical knots safely and effectively
- safely and confidently ligate a vascular pedicle (including the effective use of the modified Miller’s knot)
- safely and confidently perform an ovariohysterectomy or ovariectomy in the bitch and the queen
- perform safe and consistent closure of the linea alba using a continuous suture pattern, the sliding self-locking knot and the Aberdeen knot
- perform a gastrotomy in a safe and confident manner
You will receive continual feedback and assessment throughout. Attendance at these courses will qualify for the full set of video presentations demonstrating all of the skills taught during the day of your attendance.
Who is it for?
This highly practical, workshop-led course is based on the Royal College of Surgeons Intercollegiate Core Surgical Skills Course, which is curriculum mandated training for core surgery training in the medical profession.
Rob White BSc BVetMed CertVA DSAS (Soft Tissue) DipECVS SFHEA FRCVS
School of Veterinary Medicine and Science, The University of Nottingham (Sutton Bonington Campus), Loughborough, LE12 5RD
Number of CPD hours this event can be recorded as
Registration and Booking
More from University of Nottingham
- Collapsed and Dyspnoeic Patients - how a systematic approach to assessment reduces the stress of these emergencies
- As if Hormones Werent Challenging Enough; How to Manage Complicated Endocrine Conditions
- Introduction to Palliative Medicine and End of Life Care Online Course
- Introduction to Practical Endoscopy
- CPR Using Evidence to Improve Outcomes