Adventurer To Headline VMG 2023 Congress
11th January, 2023 13h47
8-9 June 2023, Crowne Plaza Stratford upon Avon
Darren Edwards, a record-breaking adventurer and specialist in resilience and mental toughness, will be the keynote speaker at VMG Congress 2023. A mountaineer and Army reservist, his life changed in 2016 when he was involved in a near-fatal climbing accident which left him paralysed from the chest down. Since then, Mr Edwards has worked to challenge the perception of what those with a disability can achieve by leading a series of record-breaking expeditions. During his talk, he will remind delegates that nothing can be achieved without a resilient mindset and will encourage them to think – and act – differently.
The VMG Congress website with full details of the programme and ticket pricing has now been launched at: https://vmgevents.co.uk/. The first day features streams on developing Our Purpose, Our Clients and Our Selves; with sessions exploring how to find your purpose; use social media to educate your clients and manage your own time and energy. Day Two focuses on Our People, Our Workplaces and Our Future. Sessions will include supporting neurodiverse staff; instilling a culture of kindness in your workplace, and how to develop your employer brand to attract new team members.
The programme will conclude with sessions exploring what the future could hold for the veterinary sector and how leaders can bring about change in their organisations.
- Jack Kennedy, UK Economist at Indeed Hiring Lab, who will discuss Indeed’s data on how Gen Z look for work and what we can learn from it
- Helen Hannar RN, Director of Nursing, Occupational Health Specialist and MHFA Trainer, who will lead a session on boosting your personal resilience in a tough industry
- Ruth Downs, Financial Advisor, who will present ‘how to manage your personal finances: taxes, savings, and pensions’ – and be available for mini-consultations all day
- Amy Martin RVN, Holly House Vets, who will discuss Schwartz Rounds: How to debrief your team after a challenging or emotional event in practice.
On the second day, delegates will be invited to a breakfast ‘Walk and talk’ session with the VMG team along the River Avon, during which they will discuss learnings from Day One and plans for Day Two. The social programme includes a networking event on the evening before Congress and The President’s Dinner on Thursday evening.
Commenting VMG Director Liz Somerville said: “We have relished the opportunity to completely rethink the format, content and style of our Congress to ensure that it fully meets the evolving personal and professional development needs of our delegates.
“At a time when pressure is continuing to mount on the veterinary sector and the dedicated professionals working within it, we are offering a fresh, innovative and practical programme to inspire our delegates to deliver immediate tangible outcomes for their practice and their team.
“We wanted our keynote speaker to epitomise the resilience, determination and inclusivity that is vital to the future of the veterinary profession and believe that Darren Edwards will motivate us all with his personal story of overcoming adversity and building mental toughness, which he will tell with humour, honesty and his infectious enthusiasm.”
The VMG is the professional association for all those in leadership and management roles in the veterinary sector. It empowers and equips veterinary leaders and their organisations to learn, share, and grow.
For further information:
Rebecca George, George PR
Tel: 01449 737281/07974 161108
More from Veterinary Management Group
- Additional Representation for Veterinary Sector in the House of Lords
- Registration Opens for VMG Congress 2024
- First Awardee of VMG Level 5 Diploma in Veterinary Leadership and Management Announced
- VMG Urges Practice Managers, Clinicians and Clients to Engage with CMA Review into Veterinary Services Market for Household Pets
- Learning, Laughter and Sunshine the Key Takeouts from VMG Congress 2023