Burgess Excel Vet Awards Return For Fourth Year!
21st November, 2023 10h28
Yorkshire, UK: The Burgess Excel Vet Awards, which celebrate the veterinary practices, vets and nurses dedicated to improving the lives of domestic rabbits and guinea pigs in the UK, will return later this year.
Organised by Burgess Pet Care and working in partnership with the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF), the awards are free to enter and open to practising veterinary professionals in the UK who can demonstrate the outstanding levels of care and professional advice they provide to rabbits, guinea pigs and their owners.
The Awards categories for 2023 are as follows: -
- Rabbit Vet of the Year: open to registered veterinary surgeon practicing in the UK;
- Rabbit Vet Nurse of the Year: open to registered veterinary nurse practicing in the UK;
- Rabbit Support Staff of the Year: open to staff who are currently working in a registered practice in the UK;
- Rabbit Practice of the Year: open to practices in the UK which are members of the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund and currently hold RWAF Silver or Gold accreditation as a ‘Rabbit Friendly Practice’;
- Rabbit Student of the Year: open to students studying in the UK for a veterinary or animal nutrition related degree;
- Guinea Pig Practice of the Year: open to practices registered in the UK; and
- Rabbit Awareness Week (RAW) Campaign of the Year: open to any UK-based practice or individual.
In addition to the categories above, Burgess Pet Care will present its first ever Lifetime Achievement Award to a leading veterinary specialist in recognition of their enormous contribution to improving rabbits’ welfare.
Last year’s judging panel remains unchanged and comprises industry experts, veterinary professionals and rabbit specialists: -
- Dr Suzanne Moyes MVB, MRCVS, Deputy Managing Director and Veterinary Director at Burgess Pet Care, and spokesperson for the Rabbit Awareness Action Group (RAAG) and Rabbit Awareness Week (RAW);
- Rae Walters, Director of the Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund (RWAF), the UK’s largest rabbit welfare charity;
- John Chitty BVetMed CertZooMed MRCVS, Co-Director of a small animals/ exotics practice in Andover and outgoing president of the British Small Animal Veterinary Association 2017-2018;
- Dr Sophie Jenkins, BVetMed PgCEAS GPExAP MRCVS RCVS, Advanced Practitioner in Zoological Medicine, Founder of Origins Vets, Cardiff; and,
- Dani Sewell MICPR, Communications Director at Fred Marketing, a full-service marketing agency specialising in the pet / animal welfare sector and delivering strategic communications for the Rabbit Awareness Action Group, Rabbit Awareness Week and Guinea Pig Awareness Week.
The panel will look for evidence of extensive knowledge of rabbit care and husbandry, as well as practices and individuals’ ongoing commitment to educating owners on how to care for rabbits correctly. The same criteria will apply when selecting a winner for the Guinea Pig Practice of the Year award.
Dr Suzanne Moyes said: - “For many rabbit and guinea pig owners, vets’ practices are often their first port of call for help and advice and it’s so important that they have professionals on hand who can help them understand the complex needs of these wonderful creatures.
“It is always a pleasure to read the submissions we receive from the vet community and to hear about the amazing ways they are going that extra mile to help ensure that rabbits and guinea pigs are receiving the level of care they deserve. We are looking forward to reading this year’s entries, although choosing worthy winners is never an easy task when the standards are so high!”
Rae Walters, Director at RWAF, added: - “We’re thrilled to continue our support of these important awards, which recognise those vet practices and individuals who are committed to providing the highest standards of care for rabbits and guinea pigs.”
Nominations for the Burgess Excel Vet Awards are now open. The closing date for nominations is 20 November 2023 and the winners will be announced on 4 December 2023.
One winner from each category will receive a trophy and cash prize of £250.
Award nominations can be made via the nomination form on the Excel Vet Awards website. Self-nominations may also be made. Further information is available on the Vet Awards website.
For any questions, interview or image requests, please contact:
Fred Marketing (on behalf of Burgess Pet Care)
Dani Sewell, Communications Director – [email protected]
- New publication showcases peer-reviewed research for equine assisted services and horse-human interaction
- IT’S A BIG PAWS UP FOR GPAW THE THIRD!
- Course offering 'cultural shift' for veterinary industry taking flight
- CVS opens new small animal and equine crematoria in Paignton
- New stem cell website follows clinical study