Onsior (6 Mg Tablets) Receives New Indication To Treat Pain And Inflammation In Cats With Chronic Musculoskeletal Disease
- Chronic indication and ‘easy-to-give’ award makes it simple for vets to treat musculoskeletal disorders in cats
Elanco is delighted to announce Onsior (6 mg tablets) has been licensed for the treatment of pain and inflammation associated with chronic musculoskeletal disorders in cats. 
The new indication is in addition to its existing license for acute pain and inflammation.
Vets now have another option when choosing the most suitable and effective treatment for cats with chronic musculoskeletal pain and can have confidence in the robust safety profile of Onsior 6 mg tablets for cats.2
In addition, owners could soon see their cats get back to doing what they love when vets use Onsior. Across a six week study period, owners saw a visible improvement in their cats’ performance of daily activities. In fact, Onsior was associated with a 50% decrease in owner-assessed pain and disability, a significantly greater improvement than that seen with placebo treated cats.3
It offers convenience for owners too. It’s administered as a once-daily, small flavoured tablet, which can be taken without food or with a small amount of food.
The NSAID is proven to be well-accepted by most cats.1 In fact, Onsior has been presented with an ‘Easy to give’ award from the International Society of Feline Medicine (IFSM), which recognises medication that makes treating cats easier.
The new indication for cats further strengthens the suite of Onsior products available, which includes tablets for dogs and an injectable formulation.* It makes Onsior the only coxib that can be used for both cats and dogs.
ElancoVETS, Veterinary Technical Consultant, Lepha McCartan said: “It is very exciting to be launching this new indication for Onsior because musculoskeletal disorders are commonplace in cats.
“Although reports vary, studies have shown that radiographic evidence of DJD has a prevalence as high as over 90 per cent. 4
“At Elanco we are passionate about keeping cats doing what they love and Onsior enables this while also giving vets more choice for managing chronic musculo-skeletal disease.”
To find out more go to: MyElanco.co.uk or speak to your Elanco territory manager.
For more information contact:
Sophie Middleton: Sophie.firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 01273 712000
Notes to editors
· In studies, cats’ activity patterns were measured by state-of-the-art objective monitoring methods, alongside owner assessments. Cats treated with Onsior showed a significant improvement in both objective measurements and owner assessment. Owners noted an improvement in their cat’s ability to perform daily activities, temperament and happiness.
· The field studies support earlier results that the product is well tolerated in client-owned cats when administered at therapeutic dosage periods ranging from three weeks to three months.
About Elanco Animal Health
Elanco (NYSE: ELAN) is a global animal health company that develops products and knowledge services to prevent and treat disease in food animals and pets in more than 90 countries. With a 64-year heritage, we rigorously innovate to improve the health of animals and benefit our customers, while fostering an inclusive, cause-driven culture for more than 5,800 employees. At Elanco, we’re driven by our vision of food and companionship enriching life – all to advance the health of animals, people and the planet. Learn more at www.elanco.com.
Onsior, an OA treatment from Elanco Animal Health, gets to work in just 30 minutes, reaching peak plasma concentration faster than any other veterinary licensed NSAID before targeting pain at its source. This anti-inflammatory and analgesic relief then lasts for up to 24 hours.
How does it work?
Robenacoxib is mildly acidic, just like inflamed tissues. This means that it is able to enter the inflamed cells in its uncharged form and once inside, the robenacoxib molecules become charged and trapped inside the cell. This results in a slow rate of elimination from inflammatory exudate and synovial fluid in dogs and cats with osteoarthritis, prolonging the analgesic effect in these areas.
*Please refer to the SPC for full prescribing information. Dog tablets: For the treatment of pain and inflammation associated with chronic osteoarthritis in dogs. Onsior 6 mg tablets for cats: For the treatment of pain and inflammation associated with acute or chronic musculo-skeletal disorders in cats.
Onsior contains active ingredient robenacoxib. Legal category POM-V in UK, POM in IE. For further information call Elanco Animal Health on +44(0)1256 353131 or write to: Elanco Animal Health, Lilly House, Priestley Road, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG24 9NL. For further information consult the product SPC. Onsior, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates. Use medicines responsibly www.noah.co.uk/responsible www.apha.ie BICAFONS00025.
© 2018 Elanco or its affiliates.
 Onsior Summary of Product Characteristics. http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Information/veterinary/000127/
WC500067759.pdf. Accessed 15 May 2017.
2 EPAR – Assessment Report – Variation Elanco Animal Health.
3 Elanco Animal Health. Data on File: Lascelles BDX, King JN & Archer Thompson NJ (2018) ELA_ONS_Fel_CMSD_PFSS01
4Lascelles BDX et al (2010) Cross sectional Study of the prevalence of radiographic DJD in domesticated cats. Vet Surg 2010 39: 535
More from Elanco
- Elanco launches dedicated digital resource hub to help vets treat canine otitis externa
- Elanco launches online social media tutorials in response to vet demand
- Elanco and Onsior launch online an in-practice campaign to help ease the discomfort of canine osteoarthritis
- Get hands-on and tailor language to engage dog owners in canine osteoarthritis (OA) cases to help take the pain out of consults, encourages RCVS Specialist
- Pain relief is exceptionally important in all cases of otitis externa and should be a priority alongside treatment for clinical resolution, urges leading expert Sue Paterson