VMG Launches Veterinary Leadership Standards Framework
The Veterinary Management Group (VMG) has published its Leadership Standards Framework to support and promote great leadership and management across the veterinary sector. Soundly evidence-based following a wide-ranging literature review, a survey of veterinary professionals, and in-depth interviews with over 100 veterinary leaders and managers, the Framework has been created to:
· Support the initial and continuing professional development of all those working in, or aspiring to, leadership roles in the veterinary sector
· Demonstrate the benefits that excellent leadership and management bring to the provision of veterinary services
· Facilitate individuals and organisations in striving towards, and gaining formal recognition for, excellence in leadership and management
· Acknowledge the variety of roles, styles and approaches contributing to excellent 21st century veterinary leadership and management.
The Framework is based on three domains:
1. Professional values: Underpinning all our activities and guiding our professional conduct
2. Behaviours and practices: How our Professional Values are enacted in our working lives
3. Knowledge and skills: Enabling us to lead by example; understanding what great leadership means, how we work as leaders, and how we can use our skills to benefit our colleagues, organisations, and the wider community.
Within the Framework, each area is divided into a range of competences. Each contains VMG’s expert recommendations as to the level of understanding and responsibility expected at each of five seniority tiers, together with the evidence required to demonstrate success. Organisations can use the Framework to structure, evaluate, and reward leadership roles; while individuals can use it to self-assess against the criteria, identify training needs, and create tailored career development plans. This will be supported by VMG’s new suite of accredited qualifications in veterinary business, leadership and management, to be launched in 2021.
Commenting on the launch of the Leadership Standards Framework, VMG President Rich Casey said: “Routes to a leadership role in the veterinary sector are more diverse than ever, which brings opportunity for career advancement to a wider range of veterinary staff. However, many have had only basic training to equip them for their new responsibilities and, while some embrace the new demands on them, others can find the adjustment more difficult.
“By bringing these competencies together in the Leadership Standards Framework, we are giving leaders, managers and any team member wishing to achieve better practice outcomes, a route map for skills development and the delivery of 21st century leadership.
He continued: “As we face the challenge of guiding our teams through these unprecedented times and into the ‘new normal’, the need for excellent leadership has never been more vital. The VMG Leadership Standards Framework and our new qualifications will make a significant contribution to this and I urge the profession to make as much use of both as they can.”
To download the VMG’s Leadership Standards Framework and self-assessment tools, visit www.vetmg.com/leadershipstandards
The Veterinary Management Group (VMG) is the professional association for all those in leadership and management roles in the veterinary sector. Our mission is to inspire and empower veterinary leaders and their organisations to learn, share, and grow.
For further information:
Rebecca George, George PR
Tel: 01449 737281/07974 161108
More from Veterinary Management Group
- Last Call for 2020 CVPM Candidate Entries
- ​VMG and VDS Join Forces to Help Veterinary Staff Deliver ‘Sustainable Change’
- ​VMG Seeks Input to Help Shape its Future Direction
- VMG Creates Business Re-emergence Manual for Members
- VMG Eyes Growth with Appointment of First Development Manager