VetClick
Menu Menu
Login

VetClick

/ News
Tuesday, 25th June 2024 | 4,694 veterinary jobs online | 125 people actively seeking work | 5,502 practices registered

Veterinary Industry News

Send us your news
Domino swallowed a needle and thread and needed emergency surgery at Southfields Veterinary Specialists in Basildon to remove it.

Domino swallowed a needle and thread and needed emergency surgery at Southfields Veterinary Specialists in Basildon to remove it.

'Domino' Effect As Cat Needed Emergency Surgery After Swallowing Needle And Thread

5 months ago
545 views

Posted
5th February, 2024 16h56

Author
Linnaeus Group


A curious cat who swallowed a cotton reel and sewing needle which left his life hanging by a thread, is on the mend following emergency surgery at a leading Essex animal hospital. 

Domino, whose owner is a magician, was rushed to Linnaeus-owned Southfields Veterinary Specialists in Basildon, where the expert soft tissue surgery team conjured up their own special magic to retrieve the painful object which had been stuck in the soft palate at the back of his mouth. 

Domino’s owner Oliver Tabor, from Rochford in Essex, quickly realised his feline friend was in distress when he heard retching and saw a tiny tail of thread hanging out of Domino’s mouth. 

Oliver said: “Domino’s very curious, and a little bit greedy, and had pulled out my needle and sewing thread from the end of the cotton reel while I was working and eaten it!” 

“Domino was very upset but everyone at Southfields was very reassuring and gave him lots of attention, which he loves. 

“Southfields handled the situation perfectly. Of the three possible treatment options, it turned out to be the easiest and he was very comfortable.

“Domino’s quality of life is now the same as it was before the procedure, although he demands even more attention and loves his relaxation.” 

Esteban Gonzalez Gasch, head of soft tissue surgery at Southfields, said: “Domino started coughing up phlegm and fresh blood immediately after he swallowed the needle and thread. 

“He was referred to Southfields as an emergency where he was anaesthetised and a thorough oral examination was performed. 

“The needle, approximately 3.5cm in length, was grasped with forceps and gently pulled out. X-rays performed afterwards confirmed the needle had been removed completely. 

“Domino stayed with us overnight where he was monitored closely and he went home the next day. It’s a magic result and I’m sure Domino won’t be performing the same trick again.”

Southfields, which moved into its state-of-the-art £16 million Basildon hospital in 2022, offers specialist services such as anaesthesia and analgesia, cardiology, dentistry, dermatology, diagnostic imaging, exotics, internal medicine, neurology, oncology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, radiation and soft tissue surgery. 

For more information, go to www.southfields.co.uk or search Southfields Veterinary Specialists on social media. 


More from Linnaeus Group


You might be interested in...