Boehringer Ingelheim And Global Stem Cell Technology To Bring Ground-breaking Innovation To Equine Market
- First-ever veterinary stem cell medicine recommended for EU marketing authorisation
- This regenerative medicine provides a unique ready-to-use solution for the treatment of equine lameness
- Boehringer Ingelheim again demonstrates its commitment to continuous innovation
The Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Business Unit and Global Stem Cell Technology (GST) entered into a partnership to enable European veterinarians and horse owners to benefit from ground-breaking innovation. Following marketing authorisation, Boehringer Ingelheim will exclusively distribute this highly innovative product in the EU. The product has been developed by GST and is the first-ever stem cell product in the veterinary world1 which was recommended marketing authorisation by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)1 in 2018.
Based on horse-blood-derived stem cells, which are specially primed, this medication is a candidate of the so-called novel therapies.
Lameness is a common disease in horses and impacts their performance as well as welfare. Current treatment is not satisfactory for all cases and there is a clear need for innovation and new treatment options. Hence, the significant interest in treatment beyond symptoms, namely combatting the underlying root cause.
“Priming the cells towards cartilage aids them to deliver the right activities in the affected joint,” shares Jan Spaas PhD, Veterinarian and CEO of GST. “We are absolutely delighted with this partnership as well as EMA´s positive opinion - the potential for the treatment is vast, since a quarter of the entire equine population develops osteoarthritis at some point in their life.”
“Boehringer Ingelheim is dedicated to providing new and innovative products, whether through our own R&D activities or by working in partnership with true experts in the field,” says Dr. Erich Schoett, Head of Strategic Business Unit Equine at Boehringer Ingelheim. “GST impressed us with a wealth of expertise in the area of regenerative medicine and we do see an immense synergy in the close collaboration we are having. It is a real privilege to launch an industry first of this magnitude and we are working together closely to bringing this product to market.”
1 Press release issued by the European Medicines Agency on 22 June 2018: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/first-stem-cell-based-veterinary-medicine-recommended-marketing-authorisation
More from Boehringer Ingelheim
- Boehringer launches Equine Endocrine Pioneers Circle webinar
- FEI launches new online equine influenza webinars for equine vets and horse owners
- New name and packaging for Equitop GLME
- Boehringer launches Care About Cushings online educational resource
- Horse owners struggling to recognise laminitis in their horses