Virbac Welcomes Clomicalm & Itrafungol To Its Extensive Companion Animal Range
Virbac is pleased to welcome two leading products to its extensive companion animal range, Clomicalm, an aid to the treatment of separation related disorders in dogs and Itrafungol, the treatment of choice for ringworm in cats.
Clomicalm contains Clomipramine hydrochloride, a broad-spectrum tricyclic antidepressant that inhibits the neuronal reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. A non-sedative, Clomicalm acts as a useful tool to help combat separation anxiety when used in combination with behavioural modification techniques.
1 in 5 dogs are estimated to be affected by separation anxiety1 and following the growth of dog ownership during lockdown, and the imminent re-opening of workplaces, it is anticipated that veterinary teams will be facing an increase in separation anxiety cases being presented in practice.
Dogs receiving Clomicalm have been shown to have a decreased level of fear and anxiety and an increased receptivity to behavioural modification2. The meat-flavoured tablets are presented in ‘easy to dispense’ 30 tablet packs of 5mg, 20mg & 80mg tablets, and are divisible in two for ease of administration and accurate dosing.
Itrafungol is an oral solution containing Itraconazole for the treatment of ringworm in cats, administered orally directly into the mouth by means of a dosing syringe.
Around 30% of suspicious dermatological lesions in cats are found to be ringworm, with higher frequencies in autumn and winter; cats aged less than 1 year and kittens (from 10 – 14 days) are particularly prone to infection. 3
Itrafungol oral solution, which is licensed for the treatment of dermatophytosis caused by Microsporum canis, is used as a pulse dose treatment regime to effectively treat infection in the skin and hair; Itrafungol should always be used in combination with environmental decontamination.
Readily accepted by 92% of cats, easy dosing is made possible thanks to a graduated dosing syringe with graduations per 100g body weight. Daily dosage is 5mg/kg or 0.5ml/kg/day.
Both Clomicalm and Itrafungol are available to order from the veterinary wholesalers. For more information on these, or any of the other products in the Virbac range, please speak to your Virbac Territory Manager.
1. Salonen, M., Sulkama, S., Mikkola, S., Puurunen, J., Hakanen, E., Tiira, K., Araujo, C. and Lohi, H., 2020. Prevalence, comorbidity, and breed differences in canine anxiety in 13,700 Finnish pet dogs. Scientific Reports, 10(1).
2. US-European Clinical Trial. Internal Data (CLM1998).
3. Cabanes F.J. et al. Survey of cat and dog dermatophytosis in Europe. The ECMM working group report. In:Trends in Medical Mycology, 9th Congress of the European Confederation of Medical Mycology, 28th September-1st October
2003, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, p.81.
More from Virbac Animal Health
- Virbac Launches Innovative New Pet Food Business Model for Veterinary Practices
- Virbac & BattLab/Laboklin Offer Canine Mast Cell Tumour Webinar Series
- Virbac Launches ‘Lumps and Bumps’ Toolkit for Practices
- New atopy claim for Cortavance with up to 28 days use!
- VEGGIEDENT FR3SH is awarded an additional VOHC seal for plaque control