Professor Jonathan Statham Appointed AHWBE Chair
Biosecurity Minister Lord Benyon has appointed Professor Jonathan Statham as the new Chair of the Animal Health and Welfare Board for England.
Professor Jonathan Statham has today (1 September) been appointed Chair of the Animal Health and Welfare Board for England (AHWBE). Professor Statham will start the role on 1 November 2021, replacing the current Chair, Michael Seals, who is standing down after ten years in the role.
Commenting on his appointment, Professor Statham said:
“I am delighted to have been appointed the next Chair of the Animal Health and Welfare Board for England.
“As a large animal vet by profession, high animal health and welfare is close to my heart and something I know is very important to industry and wider society.
“It is a crucial point in time for the industry and for us as a board, with lots of key policies coming forward which bring along many challenges. It is an enormous privilege for me to take on this role once Michael Seals steps down. I look forward to working together with him and colleagues on the board.”
Biosecurity Minister Lord Benyon said:
“With extensive veterinary and farming experience, Jonathan will play a key role in improving the health and welfare of kept animals in England over the coming years.
“We have bold plans to improve animal health and welfare, as outlined in our recently-published Action Plan for Animal Welfare, and I look forward to working closely with Jonathan and the AHWBE to deliver these ambitions.
“I also want to thank Michael Seals for his dedication in leading the organisation over the past decade.”
Outgoing AHWBE Chair Michael Seals said:
“Jonathan will be an excellent new Chair and I am confident he will continue the great work of the board and bring new experiences to the role.
“He has a long-standing passion for improving health and welfare in kept animals and experience in linking this knowledge to the environment and to the issues of the future.
“We therefore have an incoming Chair who can take the work of the board and its advice to ministers to a new level, while supporting delivery through the forthcoming Animal Health and Welfare Pathway. I wish Jonathan every success as Chair.”
Jonathan Statham biography:
- Jonathan has been a Non-Executive Director on the AHWBE since 2017.
- He is a qualified veterinarian and partner at the Bishopton Veterinary Group in Yorkshire and has years of experience of working with the farming industry.
- He is also Chief Executive Officer at RAFT Solutions Ltd and a Professor of Sustainable Livestock Health & Welfare at Harper and Keele Veterinary School.
- Previously, Jonathan has been President of the British Cattle Veterinary Association and Yorkshire Veterinary Society. He has served on various representative and industry groups, including the GB Cattle Health and Welfare Group and Veterinary Policy Group of the British Veterinary Association.
About the Animal Health and Welfare Board for England:
- Launched in 2011, the Animal Health and Welfare Board for England (AHWBE) is the principal source of advice to Defra ministers on all strategic health and welfare matters relating to kept animals in England.
- Its responsibilities include animal health and welfare policy, assessing the threat from animal diseases, and reviewing contingency plans for disease outbreaks.
- More information about the board is available on GOV.UK.
More from DEFRA
- Avian influenza (bird flu) identified at a wildbird rescue centre in Worcestershire
- African swine fever disease contingency plans tested through UK-wide exercise
- Government launches second Animal Welfare Bill to protect pets, livestock and wild animals
- Animals to be formally recognised as sentient beings in domestic law
- New Bovine TB Partnership launched